DAD.IE FORUM  

Go Back   DAD.IE FORUM > New Dads

Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Question Is limescale bad for baby??!

Hello, just wondering if limescale in kettles is bad for babies bottles. I have a 3 month old and we sterilise bottled water in the kettle. We clean it after every use but there is still always limescale in the last bit of water! Tried to google it to see if it was bad for baba but didnt get any answers. Does anyone know if its harmfull or not?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Hi Partydad,

I don't think so, we had 2 kettles, one for ourselves and one for baby. I did find this handy tip for removing limescale if you are concerned:

To remove all traces of grotty limescale from your kettle, simply following this easy advice: soak the kettle, filled with hot water, with brown vinegar (approx 1/3rd). Rinse the kettle well, and fill and boil. Empty completely, rinse, et voila!

Or you could buy this little device which removes limescale:

http://www.hurst-iw.co.uk/1.-Kitchen...-100-107-1718/

You could also invest in a kettle with a limescale filter, which prevents scale getting into the water.

Check out this review on Amazon...http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3F3L1SI5NN1ZC

Hope this helps,

AR
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 AM

You can't use filtered water for making babies bottles, so don't do it. Best option in my experience is simply go to the chemist and buy some vitamin C. Put in a enough water for a couple of cups and a tea spoon or so of the vit c.

Then boil the kettle and pour out the boiled water to give you a nice clean kettle inside.

In terms of limescale I don't think it would do any harm to the baby, but I know that we have very hard water in Drogheda and therefore get alot of limescale in our kettle. With our daughter we switched to using Evian when she was very young as the water can affect the taste and I find that it can leave tea giving me a slightly sickly feeling.

She responded well to using the bottled water. We're just changing over our son to it as well as he seems to have reflux as well (dd had it) and we'll see if it improves him any over the next few days.

PS If changing to bottled water use Evian it has the lowest sodium content, as sodium can be dangerous for infants. (I think this is how the water filters work changes the calcuim carbonate in the water to sodium carbonate which is more soluble in water)

Last edited by cormac; 13-02-2010 at 09:14 PM.